The strange thing is:
- I'm 53.
- When I was 5 - 10 years old I wore shorts (as did all my male classmates) and the girls tended to be in very short mini-skirts/dresses.
- No moral panic about sexualisation of children as we were assumed to be too innocent for this to happen.
- 'Cider With Rosie' stuff went on, boys from about 8 onwards tried to get a glimpse up the girls skirts, etc.
- Pedophiles sell papers. (Stories about them increase circulation, not 'all news vendors are pedophiles').
- Moral panics help newspapers, self-appointed experts, self-appointed moral leaders (lots from mums net, nothing from the C of E), get themselves publicity.
- With this publicity comes power and money.